16.11.13

I'm A Celebrity - Get To Know Your Campmates


With the grubs prepared and garnished and the snakes ready to strike, the jungle class of 2013 prepare to enter their new home for the next three weeks (including those nights where they're irritatingly pushed aside for the football.) Yes indeedy, I'm A Celebrity..Get Me Out Of Here is back – quite why this show is the success it is is often debated. Is it the schadenfreude we get from watching some of the most ridiculous celebrities the world has to offer be covered in cockroaches or is the presenting style of the irreplaceable Ant and Dec? Perhaps it's the aspect that allows us to force people we might not particularly like to do (and eat) unspeakable things? 
Ultimately, who cares? 
Of course, over the years, as the cast has been revealed, we've had several “Wow! How much did ITV have to pay them to get them to do this?” A few “Oh, I remember him/her!” and more than we can count “Who in God's name is that? I don't like them. Where's the phone?” Last year, I did actually know quite a lot of them...this year, not so much. But let's be honest, it is often the ones who people don't really know who create the most fun and drama (I'm looking at you David Van Day...). Admittedly, I only know about four or five of this years list, and even less about any of their personalities, but with the wonders of research (and the ITV press pack), allow me to introduce you to the I'm A Celebrity class of 2013...

REBECCA ADLINGTON
24
Olympic gold medalist.


Rebecca is one of those celebs that I didn't have a clue who she was (mainly because I have the sporting knowledge of a walnut) until I saw her picture. She was the rather cruel butt of a joke by Frankie Boyle, with him claiming that one of the main reasons she was so good at swimming was because she looked like a dolphin (to be fair, that's mild compared to what he's said about Katie Price.) (Side note from Katie, she lives near where I'm from so therefore we're 33% Team Rebecca)
Of course, as various sports people will be able to tell her, life in the jungle is very different to that of the competitive sports world, so what does she plan to do to help her in the bush? She says that she is going to embrace the experience as a once in a lifetime challenge, and enjoy working as part of a team again. Her fears? Claustrophobia mainly. But you lot wouldn't be as cruel as to make famed gold medalist Rebecca Adlington do a trial that requires her to get into a cramped tunnel, now would you? From the little I know of Rebecca, I can see her either going quite soon for being boring, or going REALLY far, like final far, because she does seem to be actually quite a nice person.

STEVE DAVIS
56
Former Snooker world champion.


Even my limited knowledge of sport doesn't prevent me from knowing about Steve Davis. Well, I say that – I know he play snooker rather well and that he's ginger and is apparently nicknamed “interesting” by his friends. Let's hope that's not irony, because apparently he used to be known as rather boring, and that's a god awful nickname.
 Steve says he's not using the jungle as any sort of stepping stone to fame, and is only taking part “for a laugh” and “for the challenge.” We'll remind him of that should he be offered anything prestigious when he comes out.
 He vows to take on any challenge, from kangaroo bollock to space helmet filled with nasties, which let's face it, is all we really ask. He plans to be the jungle joker of the series, which tied in with Joey Essex should be a non stop chortle of epic proportions. I predict he will do a Jimmy White and sail to the final without really doing very much, but then I said that Hazel from BB14 would go by completely unnoticed and probably shag Callum. I was wrong.

JOEY ESSEX
23
The Only Way Is Essex star.


Urgh. Ok, anyone who's read very much on what I've written on here in the past will know I despise TOWIE, MIC, GS, any of the combinations of letters that result in one of THOSE shows. However – what I'm a Celeb (alright, IAC) has done has made me think about some of these people in a slightly different light. I begrudgingly began liking Mark Wright (although, I'd have liked him a lot more if he'd decided to punch Antony Cotton in the face) and frankly I think I was a little in love with Hugo Taylor. The jungle can bring out the best in people and maybe that's what will happen with Joey. I don't really know much about him, but what I've seen around, he's not exactly the sharpest of tools.  To be honest, his bio doesn't exactly scream loud and unique at the moment. He's single, he's hoping to meet a beautiful girl in there, etc, etc. Go on Joey, impress me. My guess is that he'll be doing the first few trials as the girls will be dying to see him with his top off. He hates creepy crawlies apparently, though my guess is that they'll not be too enamoured with him either. My mind is open to like him, I promise. (Side note from Katie - I know exactly Joey is and exactly why he was favourite to win before he boarded the plane to Australia, he'll be providing us with eye watering hilarious moments, guaranteed.)

KIAN EGAN
33
Former Westlife member.


Yes, a Westlife person is flying (without wings) to Australia. Kian claims that the worst thing is going to be being away from his wife and son and that the coffin task which hasn't been seen in about six years is probably the worst trial for him. (huge shock, that's one of the very first trials they're faced with, well a of variation of it) Well, I suppose Helen and Nadine did a sort of coffin task last year, but let's be honest it wasn't for very long. 
He also admits to being an emotional person, so we can expect tears from him probably from the moment he sees the helicopter. 
Now, we've obviously had band members before – Simon Webb didn't exactly set the world alight, and to be fair neither did Dougie. Will Kian be any different? Possibly – I'm hearing on the grape vine he can be a bit of an arse, so we will have to see how that transfers to the jungle.  He doesn't see himself as camp entertainer – he wants to be interesting and up for it. He's more than willing to throw himself into any challenge that awaits him, which is lovely – but he also says “conversation is key.” That's as may be Kian, but long gone are the days when an interesting conversation round the fire will make the final edit sadly. He's not too bothered about winning, doesn't have a game plan and doesn't really want to entertain everybody around him...so why is he going in?
“Television is what I want to get into now.” Ahh. There we go. (Side Note from Katie, having loved Westlife since I was ten I will not tolerate any Kian bashing in this blog, so there)

DAVID EMANUEL
60
Fashion Designer.


Oooh, it's been a while since we had somebody as pretentious as a fashion designer in there. How do I know he's pretentious? Well, because as I was reading his bio, I took a sip of coke and promptly soaked my laptop when I read the phrase “I will miss my doves.” 
Yes indeed, the jungle is going to be a very different environment to what David is used to. He has been a designer for big names such as Madonna, Liz Taylor and, most famously, Princess Diana. He also has a phobia of pretty much everything, so the show is the perfect place for him really. He admits that whilst he will find it difficult, he is prepared to take the rhino beetle by the horns and give it as good as he's got. Pretty sure Helen Flanagan and Gillian McKeith said that before they went in.
 He's not without a story either; this time last year, David was diagnosed with prostate cancer, from which he happily managed to make a full recovery. His mantra now being, if I can survive cancer, can I survive the jungle? I don't think they quite fall into the same category, but I get what he means. David wants to dispel rumours that he's very grand and serious because of his royal connections, and insists that people don't need to curtsy when they meet him. That's a huge weight off my mind. He'll even empty the toilet bucket – which is more than Charlie Brooks managed to do last year.
 He's got quite a Colin Baker attitude about him – he's very much looking forward to losing weight before Christmas. That seems pointless to me, but there we are. Looking forward to David, he may well be very entertaining and clearly won't suffer fools. I also predict he will be doing a lot of trials if the public has anything to do with it.

LAILA MORSE
68
EastEnders Actress.


Well, she is more or less. Recently, Laila was given the boot in pretty much everything but name and delegated to being a background character. A shame really as I am a pretty big fan of Big Mo.
 Laila on the other hand will be interesting. Mark my words. I watched her on Come Dine With Me a few years ago and she was a bit of a cow. With the added strains of no food, little sleep, I predict that Laila will be the driving force of more than a couple of rows in camp.
 Not to say that she won't do well. She says she's not a fan of spiders and cockroaches, but she has wanted to do the show for years, which suggests someone who will jump in with both feet. After Helen last year, I would snog her purely for that. 
Guaranteed one thing though – Joe Swash will be her biggest fan. He won't have a choice. He's “her boy” apparently. Just to warn you Laila, Joe doesn't decide who wins. 
One thing I do love about her is that she's not an early to bed person. She only needs a few hours sleep and if people don't stay up with her, she may be resorted to banging a few cans together. Get her on Big Brother. The live feed fans would adore her.

LUCY PARGETER
36
Emmerdale Actress


Ooh look, someone who's currently on telly loads. Chas Dingle has had quite a year in the Dales, and now Lucy is looking to have a big an adventure in the jungle, though she admits taking part in the show was a spur of the moment thing and that she's now absolutely bricking it. Excellent. Lucy wants to entertain people in there and be the one being laughed at for a change, and also to be the shoulder to cry on. About six of this year's lot want to do that, so it's looking like shoulder fights WILL be happening. Watch this space.
 She doesn't do well with boredom however (neither do we Lucy, just so you're aware) – over anything else in camp, she feels she'll struggle most with sitting still for five minutes. She'll be collecting logs, making beds, boiling rice. And above all, she accepts that the trials are not there to enjoy, they give you grief and as long as she's making the viewers laugh she's happy with that.
 But do not worry viewers, come the end of the three weeks, Lucy is quite happy to go back to Emmerdale, a job she loves. Phew. Chas will be thinner and have a tan, which is all anybody wants really.

ALFONSO RIBEIRO
42
Former Prince of Bel Air star.


It must be the year for old American sitcom stars to make their way over to British reality programmes. After Dustin Diamond graced our screens again in Celebrity Big Brother, Alfonso, AKA Carlton, now appears in the jungle. 
Alfonso says his wife is non too thrilled with him doing the show as it means leaving her with their recently new born baby...plus she doesn't know how he'll survive out there as he doesn't like bugs or snakes...And he's hardly seen any of the show. (Spoiler, he's already shed a tear)
“Ignorance is bliss,” he says. “If I'd seen more of the show than I have, I'd probably have said 'hell, no!” I cannot wait to see his reaction to Bed Bugs. If he doesn't eat, he gets grouchy. And he isn't afraid to debate information either. Whether that's on the fine art of cooking rice or feminist theories remains to be seen, but Alfonso is more than prepared to learn some things about himself. Trials where he can't get out will be an issue for him...that's rather a lot of them isn't it? He is also not going to be doing the famed Carlton dance until he is voted out. That's either an invitation to get him out early or he's over predicting the public's love for him. We shall see.

AMY WILLERTON
21
Miss Universe GB Model.


My guess is she's been hired to stand under the waterfall for three weeks. 
Oh, but here's a thing...she's single. Joey's single! OMG WILL WE SEE A ROMANCE?!?!?!!? Probably. Yay.... Amy was in Moscow for the global Miss Universe competition when she was asked to take part (I think that means she lost) and so is promising to give her fellow camp mates lots of lessons on cat walking. I for one cannot wait to see Steve Davis in high heels. Apparently with 110 million people watching the contest, you have to get your walk just right.... How hard can walking down a stage be?
 She is looking forward to stripping. Oh sorry, she's looking forward to stripping down and not wearing any make up and being natural. How silly of me. Amy (apparently) rose to fame on Katie Price's reality show “Signed by Katie Price,” where she promptly dumped Price and went on to forge her own career. I can't diss her for that. Well played. 
Amy is apparently the go to girl in her family if there's a spider but her biggest fears are “weird things” like china dolls. Can we please have a task where she has to eat a china doll? That would be brilliant television.
 No, fair play to her – I'm prepared to give her a chance. A modely type person who isn't too fussed by bugs isn't a very common thing on this show, and I thought Ashley Roberts would be boring. Let her have her time. But the moment she starts cuddling up to Joey on a hammock, she's gone. Deal?

MATTHEW WRIGHT
48
Presenter of “The Wright Stuff” on Channel 5.


I cannot wait for this. Matthew says that no other contestant has ever had the severity of arachnophobia that he has, ever. If he's worse than Gillian Mckeith then we are in for a giggle and a half. He's tried to go to a therapist, but apparently there wasn't enough time before the start of the show for him to be effectively cured. Maybe he should try that tapping your chest whilst humming Happy Birthday thing that Sinitta did. That worked.
He says his scream factor is likely to be “above Dean Gaffney but lower than Paul Burrell.” That does take some doing to be fair. There does seem to be quite a journey for Matthew ahead. He says that he isn't doing the show for any type of job opportunity but to cope with issues he has. Alongside spiders, Matthew is scared of heights too, and apparently these fears have got worse as he's got older. Ironically though, he also says that his nightmare campmate would be a mixture of Sinitta and Helen, and that he will have no problems at all putting such a campmate in their place. Excellent stuff. Seriously though, Matthew is my early favourite. I am intrigued to see how he will cope.


So, that's our lot this year. Apart from the two that will be forced to spend the night in some sort of shack later on in the series. 
The rumours of extras are rife as usual – Helen Flanagan is on the grape vine to make a return at some point to do “one last trial,” and some evil person on Digital Spy claimed they'd heard that Katie Price was heading back too. Please no. I will pay her to make her stay away.
Don your jungle hats people, for the return of I'm a Celebrity...GET ME OUT OF HERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment