15.9.13

An Open Letter To Chris Coleman



Dear Mr Coleman,

I want to start off by saying you are not a bad person, you seem like a decent enough guy for a jack, and I know you are trying your hardest. I also want to point out that I’m a Welsh fan, I am not Raymond Verheijen who may or may not have his own agenda. I am a fan who was there in 1993 when Paul Bodin struck the crossbar from a penalty that broke Welsh hearts. I am a fan who stood for 2 hours after a Wales match for a train in the hammering down snow in Scotland. I am a fan who was 1 of 58 Welsh fans watching the Cup Of Nations “tournament” in Dublin. So in short, I am one of the fans that you say you care what they say and think.

I know you took the job under extraordinary circumstances, following the death of the late great Gary Speed, which is why when you took the job, despite my belief you were not the right man for the job, I decided to give you a chance. I mean, Speed had left you a squad of magnificent players and youngsters and you just had to carry on his good work. Following the two humiliating defeats to Maccedonia and Serbia in the last week, which we rolled over and let weaker teams defeat us comfortably, which is also the week I decided I would never step foot inside a stadium to watch Wales while you were still in charge, I want to discuss your post-match comments of “I can only work with what I got”.

What you got is a squad that is full of Premiership players, amazingly talented youngsters and the world’s most expensive player. As I very much doubt you have the ability to see what a talented squad you have, I will breakdown every position for you. I don’t argue that some of the below have not always been available to you, however I would argue that a handful of these players combined, which you have had for every game that you have lost, should be enough to beat Macedonia & Serbia, amongst all the teams you have lost to.

In goals, you have a choice between Boaz Myhill and Wayne Hennessey. Myhill is a Premier League goalkeeper with a decent mid table team, and has been playing regularly due to the injuries to Ben Foster. Hennessey is a Premiership class player, albeit fighting back from a near career ending injury. Both you and I know Chris , Wayne is Top 5 Premiership material if his injury hasn’t taken too much out of him.

In defence you have Ashley Williams (why on earth did you make him captain?!), Adam Matthews, Darcy Blake, Ben Davies, Neil Taylor & James Collins. 4 of those players are regular Premiership defenders, one is a squad member at a Premiership team and the other is part of SPL Champions, and was part of the team that BEAT the worlds best team at the time Barcelona last season. As for your treatment of James Collins, it is not far short of criminal, considering the other defenders you picked in front of him. I don’t believe he did, but even if he did snub your offer of a call up after being shunned, I wouldn’t blame him. I thought you were brilliant at man management so you say?!

In midfield, you have Aaron Ramsey, Craig Bellamy, Joe Allen, Joe Ledley, Hal Robson Kanu & Jonathan Williams, not even mentioning veteran good hands in David Vaughan and Andy King. Ramsey is arguably the most in form midfielder in the Premiership right now, Bellamy is a legend and a changing room leaders, who is perfect to help the youngsters develop on the International stage. Joe Allen is a magnificent midfielder who holds everything together like a top Spanish player and it pains me to say that as he is a Swansea boy. Han Robson Kanu is a player who has developed a lot more than I ever expected, and he should be at a Premiership club, but he is loyal to the team that broke him through and that is a rare trait in this modern game. Jonathan Williams, what can you say about this boy?! Most people outside Wales won’t know this yet, but he is probably the most exciting player to come through the Welsh system since Bale and Ramsey. Within 3 years he will be at a top club, and when his manager wants him to rest and not play for Wales and is putting pressure on him, do you think he will want to come play for you and a losing team?

Now, I will say we are very lean up front, there’s no doubting that, but we do have a player by the name of Gareth Bale, you may have heard of him? Play Steve Morrison or Sam Voakes up front with him, someone who can hold the ball up and lay the ball at Bale’s feet and watch the magic happen. It’s a simple formula. You need to allow Bale to be up there with them though, not stuck out on the wing, or deep trying to get the ball from everywhere, let Ramsey, Bellamy and Allen do that.

As you can see Chris, I think you find you have a lot to work with. Recently I’ve started calling you Clown Coleman (get it replacing Chris with Clown?!) as I honestly believe only a clown could come up with the tactics and team selection to make people laugh. The problem is Chris, a Clown is more entertaining than the games I’ve been watching recently.
I heard you say that you only want the best for Wales and the Welsh fans, fair enough. In which case, the best thing you can do is turn down the offer of the contract from the muppets at the FAW, go back to the level in which you excel, Cyprus Division 2. If you do that, I will regain all the respect that I once had for you as a rock at the heart of the Welsh defence.

Kind Regards,

Haydn Gleed.

No comments:

Post a Comment