13.3.14

ALBUM REVIEW - A Great Big World - Is There Anybody Out There?


A Great Big World: Is There Anybody Out There?

If I had to sum up this album in three words I would pick positive, bright and cheerful. I (slightly embarrassingly) had never come across or heard of ‘A Great Big World (Editor Note – Until I shared the musical joy). However, this is definitely a duo to keep your eye on in the future. The talented double act come in the form of two music business students, Chad Vaccarino and Ian Axel who have put their heads together to create a high-spirited and exuberant album, full of upbeat and optimistic melodies paired with strong beats, power chords and a great understanding of rhythm. The album starts with the overall positive and buoyant ‘Rockstar.’ Based on the want to make it big, the song is a fusion of simple piano merged with a fuller arrangement of drums and guitar with strong chords that will get even the most downbeat listener unable to resist tapping their feet to the rhythm. The lyrics, chant of hope and optimism, however the guitar riffs stop the song from screaming ‘cheesy.’

We then move onto the ultimate pop song, ‘Land of Opportunity.’ To me this screamed a mix of Alphabeat and Pan!c at the Disco, which surprisingly doesn’t make a bad mix. It is quirky and whimsical, with a brass band making a surprising but overall enjoyable appearance during the middle 8 of the song. The lyrics include ‘I’m changing my name to a word that’s really hard to say,’ and ‘it’s no-ones fault I’m just too young, and you’re insane.’ Once again I could not stop my foot from tapping. My only problem with the song was the addition of a number of people cheering in the background, which was distinctly aggravating to listen to. (However this is only a minute annoyance.) The song is joyful and has a childish touch, which made it only lovelier to listen to. The song ends with a brash banging of percussion moving swiftly onto a soulful and beautiful ending on the piano. Perfect! ‘I really want it’ the next song on the album, I think, is the ultimate showing of the bands determination to make it into the difficult and unsteady music industry. The power chords and rising scales of the piano only reiterate the songs ultimate base of ‘I’m not giving in,’ and ‘let’s do this.’ One thing to say of ‘A Great Big World,’ is the singing is beautifully clear and articulate; you cannot help but hear every single word perfectly, which is a big compliment.

The song ‘Say Something,’ is a beautiful pairing of piano soft lyrics with sheer power and emotion. It’s currently doing the rounds on the charts and no wonder. The song is strong, with deep and meaningful lyrics such as ‘anywhere I would have followed you, say something, I’m giving up on you.’  The lyrics beg us to say something, to stop the other from giving in. It is so telling of rocky or difficult relationships and situations, and I feel any listener that has had a difficult time in a relationship or has been in a tough time in their life could definitely relate and feel the sheer emotional tug of the song. The soft strings playing long rising notes only add to the serenity of the track and pull the listener in. The song really tells a story, which is what the reader ultimately wants to hear. I must admit that the song really pulled on my heartstrings with powerful chords and a sense of desperation and is definitely worth a couple of listens. I must admit it is a sudden change from the prior songs that sing of positive feelings; however it is a lovely welcome contrast that is almost needed to show that the twosome can do something soulful and meaningful.

My least favourite song on the album was unfortunately, ‘You’ll be okay.’ By this point in the album I wanted something gritty and powerful much like ‘Say Something.’ However, I was hit with a nauseatingly loud and almost tacky song. Unfortunately, even the rocking guitar riffs could not help me to like this song. For me, it was so pop-fuelled and the lyrics appears shallow, dependant on the repetition of ‘you’ll be okay. For me this was a rare miss. Unfortunate. This could not be said for ‘Everyone is Gay.’ This was extremely memorable, with brilliantly catchy lyrics. The song has a theatrical quality, and could have been placed in a musical such as ‘Avenue Q.’ I really enjoyed this and thought that the song really looked at the current political situation in a down-to-earth but important way that seemed extremely understood by the band. Lyrics include, ‘one step closer to breaking down the walls,’ and ‘if you’re straight well that’s great you can help pro-create and make gay little babies for the whole human race.’ The song is strong with well-placed piano stop chords, which only help to pack a punch helping to brighten and exemplify the lyrics from the song.

The next few songs go back to the similar up beat and funk feeling; ‘there is an answer,’ is another stereotypical pop-tune with funky off beats, and the familiar piano chords. Once again it sings of hope and joy. By this point I was a little tired of the stereotypical optimism of the band however I found myself singing along to it later; this band have stuck in my mind and that can only be a good thing. Next was ‘I Don’t wanna Love Someboy Else’ and I loved this track and it sounds a little like the band ‘The Plain White-t’s.’ The melody paired with the soft guitar riffs moving up and down the scale are beautiful and well played with a real understanding of arrangement. One of the things that I have loved about this album is the incredible sense of balance between, voice, piano, guitars and my favourite, the string section. It is paired so brilliantly that you cannot help but be moved by the swelling melodies and the perfect harmonies. This song was grittier than the rest of album and was extremely emotional; I LOVED it. The rest of the songs are (much like any album) a little wishy-washy, they mix between the genres of the rest of the album and for me none were stand out songs however they are easy listens and do not affect this great album. The final song, a repeat of ‘say something,’ ft Christina Aguilera is beautiful and really adds to the song! It is a brilliant way to end the album and make the song even more stunning. Overall I loved this album and think it will be one that I am listening to more in the future. It is definitely a pick-me-up album. But if you tire easily of optimism and like something a little grittier this might be a little ‘too much’ for you!

Rating 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment