4.3.14

Shane Filan - You and Me Tour Review.


Shane Filan – Nottingham Royal Concert Hall – 3rd March

Image taken by @ItsBizNews

I’ve been a huge Westlife fan since the very beginning and like most other fans I’ve been having to make do with old albums to get my fix, so when it was announced Shane Filan (our not so secret favourite) was heading off on a UK tour I jumped at the chance to grab some tickets. I’m so glad I did.

I didn’t know what to expect from this tour, different scenarios went through my mind about what the set would be like, what his set-list would be like and frankly what it would be like without Kian, Nicky and Mark! Out of all these scenarios I didn’t imagine one more perfect than that which developed in front of my last night.

The Support Act

Image taken by @ItsBizNews

I always turn up on time for a support act, usually with varying degrees of joy or regret. This time it was utter joy. Ben Montague gave what seemed a short set, but I think this was only our perception due to the whole 'time flies when you're having fun' adage. I was unsure on the first two songs but the second he switched to the keys I were hooked. Beautiful voice, genuine emotion, great lyrics, I'd happily listen to each song again and again. He endeared himself to the audience with a great attitude, effortless rapport and pure talent. If you're going, don't miss him.

The Stage

Image taken by @ItsBizNews

A small intimate set which is exactly what someones house would look like if they had a bar in their living room, a love of lamps and a live-in band. It was simple yet perfectly effective in creating a relaxed atmosphere in which Shanes’ band looked at home and not an inch out of place.

The Band

Image taken by @ItsBizNews

His band really helped in creating what was overall a fantastic show. They were prominent throughout without overpowering Shane and gave him a source of interaction and comfort up on stage. Dressed in clothes that I’m pretty sure they stole from the Mumford and Sons, during the acoustic section it created a folk-like look which really complimented Shanes’ album tracks. My particular favourite was the one with the giant ginger beard!

The Set-List

Image taken by @ItsBizNews

I’d love to list it in chronological order for you but I was far to engrossed in the show to take notes, sorry. The show had a perfect mix of new material from his album and Westlife classic hits, exactly what we’d hoped for. His solo songs allowed him to be him, the crowd sang along and you could see just how much this meant to him. The Westlife songs obviously got the crowd going that little bit more, but they’re classics, they’re bound to. I won’t spoil which ones he performs but no matter what your taste there’s something for you to reminisce and sing along (very loudly – he likes that) to. He even throws in a couple of covers, one of which was quite a surprising choice, again, I won’t spoil it for you, but here’s a clue… I never thought we’d hear it in an Irish accent.

The Venue

Image taken by @ItsBizNews

As my local venue i've been to the Nottingham Royal Concert Hall too many times to recall but i'd never sat on the 1st tier (which is where my seats were) and i'd definitely recommend it! No waving arms or bobbing heads got in the way even when people were standing. The seats were perfectly comfy and you'd have to be a BFG to grumble about the leg room, the only downside was the person behind me who had overdosed on perfume.

Overall a great show, there’s nothing I went away wishing I’d seen or heard that I didn’t and I left wanting to see it all over again. Fingers crossed he tours again because I'm so there! 

Here's a couple more pictures I took...








No comments:

Post a Comment