19.7.13

Interview - Louis Smith


We spoke to Olympic Medalist and Strictly Champion Louis Smith about life since London 2012, his new book 'My Story So Far' and most importantly, what ice-cream flavour he'd be! Read it here...


Hi Louis, it's almost a year since London 2012, how's life changed for you? 

So much has changed! I started rehearsals for Strictly almost straight after the Olympics and went on to win which I never expected! Since then, I’ve been so busy working on various new projects like the book and a new summer gymnastics camp I’m planning for kids. I’m really enjoying life at the moment.

The moment you realised you'd won a silver medal what was the first thoughts that ran through your mind?

When I landed my routine I just felt a massive amount of relief. Everything I had worked for was worth it. I had got through my routine clean and that was what I had set out to do. Everything beyond that was out of my control and whether it was bronze, silver or gold I was so happy to come away with a medal in the individual competition and one in the team competition from the London Olympics.

After the Olympics you went into Strictly Come Dancing, what made you decide to choose this over other shows? 

I’ve always loved dancing so to be given the opportunity to do this show was perfect for me! It was so much hard work, but I had the best time. Working with Flavia was a lot of fun – she was the best teacher I could have hoped for. We’re still really good friends now.

Do you have a favourite personal moment from your winning time on the show?

I think it's got to be all the time I got to spend with all of the other celebrities on the show. Having gone from the intensity of the build up to the Olympics and the competition itself, it was so nice to be able to just have so much fun with a group of such good people. I loved the build up to the show each weekend as we got to see each other, catch up and have a great laugh before and after each show. It's something I'll never forget and still really miss.

Do more people ask to see your medals or your glitter ball? 

Haha, to be honest the medals probably win this one! I’ve just finished doing a tour of schools and took my medals along to those for the kids to see – they loved them! I am of course very proud of my glitter ball too though and people are always asking about my experience on Strictly!

Congrats on the MBE Louis, how proud were you to receive this honour? And we've always wondered, what did the Queen say to you? 

She was very nice! She asked me what I'd been up to and I told her I'd just finished the Strictly Tour (I didn't asked her if she'd been to see it), and then she gave me the MBE and said 'Here's another one for your collection'.

Do you keep your MBE amongst your DVD collection like your medals? 

That would be telling, although things have moved about it a bit now I've got my new house.

You've been extremely busy the past year with Strictly, Fashion, talking in schools... What's been your highlight? 

It’s all been an incredible experience, but to meet all the kids in the schools was a massive highlight. I received so many letters from kids last year who were inspired by me to take up gymnastics and asked me to come to their schools. Having been able to go back and visit all these places around the country has been inspiring to me. I’ve enjoyed meeting them face to face and being able to talk to them about my experiences.

Your book 'My Story So Far' was released on 4th July, what made you decide to do this now? And how long has it taken to write?  

It wasn't too bad to be fair - I worked with Sarah Shepard (also of Sport Magazine) who's an amazing writer and made the whole process quite quick and very laid back... it was a few sessions with her over 2 or 3 weeks and then various editing stages. The result was a good one I think!

Are you enjoying your book signings and meeting your enthusiastic fans face to face?

It’s the first time I’ve done something like this and it’s been amazing to be able to meet my fans properly and spend some time going to different places. 

Is there a specific chapter full of juicy secrets we should look forward to reading? 

Haha not sure about that - there were some stories that are better left untold! Hopefully all through the book you should get to know a different side of me, especially where it gives you an insight into growing up with ADHD and how that had an impact on my life

Did any of your friends get a little worried when you told them you were writing the book and they potentially could be in it? 

There were probably some worried faces about while it was being written but I think it's all relatively above board! When you write a book you have to get all the juicy bits which involve other people agreed by them so there was only so much I could get away with!


The books title is 'My Story So Far', what's the next chapter for you now? Will we see you competing again? 

I’m enjoying having time to explore other interests at the moment, but I’m still going to the gym and keeping in shape so I wouldn’t rule out competing again. There are a lot of very talented youngsters coming through in British gymnastics, so let’s see what happens!

And finally, if you were an ice cream flavour, what flavour would you be? 

It would have to be Hazelnut - love it


No comments:

Post a Comment