11.8.13

Outside The Box - Top 5 Stories Of The Week


1. Luis Suarez Demands To Leave.


The news has been dominated this week by Luis Suarez essentially demanding to leave Anfield. He has even gone so far as to say he is considering legal action to escape the contract that he signed a little over a year ago.

Now, I know everyone and their cat have had their say on the matter, but here are my thoughts. If I had been going through a lot of personal issues, and my manager and company had stuck by me, publically stood up for me and were still paying me despite the trouble I had got myself into, I would feel an incredible amount of loyalty to these people. Suarez is obviously not a loyal kind of person.

I appreciate that he’s ambitious, but at one point during the whole race issue, no one would have touched him with a barge pole. I’m sure there was grounds for Liverpool to fire him (I know it wouldn’t make financial sense but stick with me here) and what club in their right mind would employee him, a documented racist?! I think Brendon Rogers would admit that if Liverpool didn’t get into the Champions League in the 2014/2015 then he would have to concede Suarez has to leave, and that’s all Liverpool and their fans are asking, and I personally think he should honour their loyalty with loyalty back. It’s only my opinion, but I believe that defending Luis Suarez like Kenny Daglish did after the Evra incident cost him his job. Suarez should show some loyalty.
If he still throws his toys out of the pram, I would make him sit out every single minute of his contract training with the youth and wasting his career. I know legally they can’t do that as contracts these days are sided mostly in the players favour, but if I could enforce that, then I would.

2. Ricky Lambert Gets An England Call Up


In news that makes me believe fairytales are still possible in this modern professional game of football, Ricky Lambert, a journeyman of the lower leagues for many years, got an England call up this week for their friendly against Scotland.
I’ve admired Ricky Lambert for a long time, and whenever Cardiff have come up against him be it for Southampton, Bristol Rovers or whoever, I’ve always said this is the player we have to be careful of, and after his first season in the Premiership last year, he deserves it.
Is he good enough though? Well I think so. He’s not going to score a bagful of goals, but he will take one or two defenders out of the running allowing space for other players. I think Scotland is the perfect team for him to start against because of his physical presence. We will see, if I was an England fan, I wouldn’t be too worried about seeing Ricky Lambert in the squad.

3. Hull City = Hull City Tigers?!


In news that hit close to home this week, Hull City owners announced plans to turn the official name of Hull City to be the Hull City Tigers, in a move that will sure cause a rift amongst their fans.
As a Cardiff City fan, who nearly became a Cardiff City Dragons fan last year, I feel for these fans who hate the idea of the rebranding of their club. I went as far last season to declare to my mates that I will not support the Cardiff City Dragons even if we get to the Premiership, I will go elsewhere.
For non-football fans or for part time supporters, it’s difficult to put into words of why someone would feel like that. The only way I can explain it is that the identity of the club is in the name. You hear Cardiff City, you know it’s a team from Cardiff, wheras Cardiff City Dragons sounds like a franchise that is currently based in Cardiff.
I don’t know, maybe it’s the way the game is going, I hope not, but I feel the pain of the Hull City fans. Hull and Cardiff fans have never seen eye to eye, but we are both passionate fans and love our clubs and let’s hope it doesn’t come to pass as I think it’s the first step on a bad road for the game.
On a quick side note, something you might not know, one of the main reasons why the Cardiff City Dragons re-brand didn’t go ahead, was a City fan from Caerphilly trademarked the name Cardiff City Dragons along with a few other variations of it in order to stop any name rebranding. 

4. Qatar World Cup 2012


On what has been a slow news week away from the usual Suarez, Rooney, Bale sagas, this story caught my eye. According to Greg Dyke, it will be impossible for the World Cup to be played in the summer and will have to be played in the winter.
Now, this is not someone without any influence in the game, this is a man who’s part of the FA and should in essence know what he’s talking about, so to my mind that means there is a strong possibility that this is being talked about seriously.
Now, I have a few issues here. As a Welshmen, I know the chances are unless we can clone 11 Bale’s we are not going to be there, but surely if the world cup can’t be fit around the domestic seasons of the biggest leagues in the world, then how the hell did Qatar get the world cup? There are conspiracy’s out there but I’m not getting into that right now.
We could be in a position in 9 year’s time, where the Premiership will be devalued. During the month of the tournament and the month build up before hand, all the best teams will lose their best players for 2 months.
It’s a long way off, but we will see what happens, it just concerns me that a high profile member of the FA is talking about this being a possibility.

5. League Cup Starts


This week saw the start of the League Cup currently held by (uch) Swansea City. There wasn’t too many surprises, but the biggest ones were Carlisle knocking out Blackburn on penalty’s and Newport County knocking out Brighton. Unfortunately for Newport County, their captain and ex Cardiff City youngster Byron Anthony suffered a horrific injury.
The 2nd round draw has also been made, with the biggest game appearing to be Liverpool V Notts County. City have a tough game against Accrington Stanley, but I’m sure the focus this season will not be on the cup competitions again this year.




No comments:

Post a Comment