23.8.14

INTERVIEW - Lydia Lucy



Hi Lydia, when did you first realise that a career in music was what you wanted to do?

My Brother sung in competitions all around Essex and I used to watch him when I was about 6 and say ‘oh god I want to do that’. My Mum entered me into a competition and I wasn’t very good (lots of giggles) so she said to me ‘if you’re going to do this you’ve got to really work hard’. That’s when I really started singing and dancing so I’ve always wanted to do it from a really young age.

People may recognise you from the X Factor, what made you decide to give the show a go? Did it change your life in any way?

Well my brother was actually on the X Factor in 2012 in a group called Times Red (we remember those beautiful boys), I watched them proceed through the competition and I saw it was such a great platform and thought I’d give it a go. So I went to audition and obviously it was an amazing platform for me, it gave me loads of fans and loads of followers. It’s helped me to do loads of stuff since, gigs, writing, everything; so it’s really changed my life in an amazing way.

You’ve got a single out! Tell us a bit about it…

It’s called Turn It Up and somebody actually got in contact with me and said ‘I love your voice, I’ve seen you on the X Factor and I’ve got this song I think would be amazing for you’. So we met up and we went through the song, changed a few bits around so it was more kind of like my style and then we recorded it and decided to release it.


What’s the reaction been like from people?

It’s been an amazing response that I’ve had today; it’s been absolutely crazy. I’ve had Sam Bailey and friends that I’ve made throughout my experiences tweeting it and telling everybody to go and buy it and stuff. It’s been a great reaction, I’m so happy about it.

Were you nervous or excited for people to hear it?

I was so excited. The fans have been waiting for so long for some original material and where I’ve been so busy doing gigs and everything I felt like a really needed to give them something back. So I was so excited to hear their thoughts and whether they liked it, but it’s gone down amazing.

Is this the type of music you want to continue to release?

Yeah, I really love songs with like a high beat and I’d say it’s kind of very Pop. I just think it’s really high energy and a lot of my fans are quite young so it’s the type of music they really enjoy too.

Will you be performing it live anywhere soon?

Yeah I’m actually doing a festival tomorrow (Sunday) and on Monday where I’m going to be singing it. It’s called the Havering Show, it’s in Essex and I’m going to be performing it there, so that’ll be my very first live performance of Turn It Up.

What do you enjoy most about performing live?

I just love the buzz off the crowd; I think it’s an amazing feeling. People joining in and singing along with you it’s just an amazing feeling, it makes you feel kind of loved. I love performing live.

Can we expect any more music from you, maybe an album?

Yes 100%. I’m actually working on an EP at the moment, which will be released at some point, I can’t say when yet, but I’m really excited about that. It’ll be all original tracks so it’s an exciting time.

Go buy yourself a copy of Lydia's brand new single here - 'Turn It Up' - you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment