8.8.14

INTERVIEW - Matthew Davies (BBUK)



On launch night Matthew was our instant fave and we were rather sad-faced to see him leave too soon, but with the series almost over there's no housemates opinions we'd want to hear more. We spoke to Matthew about his time in the house, the power, Helen and more...

What's life been like since leaving the house, has much changed?

Life for me has been the same as before really, which in all honestly is what I am happy with and what I feared would not happen. I feel as if I was in the Big Brother house a lifetime ago now! It all feels like one big blur. Not much really has changed, aside for the fact I can watch myself back on TV, people I've never met before have conversations on the street and that I seem to have a lot more people to speak to on Twitter, but ordinary life is back to normal.

What's the reaction been like towards you from the public?

My reaction seemed to be really good when I left. The fact it was a shock eviction and that I was not actually hated; despite hearing boos, was quite overwhelming. I did honestly believe I would leave hated, as I think when you are a housemate your natural insecurities really do come out whilst you’re in there and as humans we doubt ourselves so much. Knowing that people actually liked me was quite nice to hear. Of course, I do get people who write a lot of nasty comments about me as well as at me over the Internet, but it could have been a lot worse!

What made you want to take part in the show?

I love Big Brother and have watched it every year and always thought about how much I'd love to go on it and experience it myself. If I'm honest, the idea of being on TV and having people know me was of course appealing for my ego. But really and truly it was just the idea of having the most unique experience of a lifetime and doing something that I know I've always wanted to do and something that 99% of people cant say they've done either.

Do you have any regrets?

I don't. There were times when I looked back and thought "why didn’t I do this then?", "why didn’t I throw myself into tasks more?", or "why didn't I actually have more fun?", but everything I did in the house I am quite proud of myself for doing really. I don’t think I made any mistakes in there or did anything that I feel ashamed of doing and I'm glad that now its over I've not made a complete fool of myself or looked back and felt embarrassed about anything, that was my biggest fear! 

How different do you think the house would be if you were still in there?

I found myself thinking about this an awful lot shortly after my eviction. Of course if I wouldn’t have gone, Ash would have and I think I probably would have felt more settled simply because I clashed heavily with him and Helen towards the end of my stay. To be honest, I think I would have become bitchier towards her given that Ash's departure would have weakened her, so a part of me believes it may have just been the right time.

When I watch it back I do notice I came across very quiet which I am not at all. I never really got involved in the arguments or controversy so with time I would have been able to actually receive more airtime - which I didn't much. I would have definitely become more fun as the show went on. I also know that I would have become even closer to my best friends in there; Mark, Christopher and Chris, its a shame my friendships could not develop more now that I am on the outside. But who knows? Everything happens for a reason; I could never predict how different things may have turned out.


Have there been times when you've watched the show and wished you were back in there? 

YES! A lot. Nearly every task that has taken place I wish I could have experienced in addition to what I did. When you go in, you do quite conceitedly believe you will make the final and when I did go, despite the fact I believed I was going that week, It only then hit me that once I was evicted, the experience was over! I would have loved to stay longer and experience it all. It would have been interesting to meet the newbies and see how the dynamics changed. Then there’s the arguments of course, many where I have had to witness my friends go at each other such as Christopher and Mark; I've sat at home watching my screen wishing I could be there to break it up and calm them down, but sadly I cant! I do think though that I managed to experience the most fun tasks, who else got to sleep in a glass box over night?


What's it actually like living with Helen?

We got on well in the beginning, but I can't say I've had many friends similar to her throughout my life. She's very intense and argumentative and there were times a lot of people felt like they were constantly on edge with her, including myself. It wasn't pleasant.

Do you think she's changed or is it all in the edit?

No I don't think she's changed. I simply think its all a clever act to win the show and convince her housemates and the viewers that she's had a "journey". If it wins her the show then she would have done a very good job!


You were very close to Mark in the house, what do you make of his and Christopher's 'relationship'?

I don't think there is a genuine romance there. They always had this sort of "frenemy" relationship from the first week. Mark was constantly winding Christopher up; who is VERY easy to wind up. I think they both begun to thrive on it but unfortunately now it's got to the point where Christopher seems to be getting a little fed up. I was really pleased to see them bond following my departure as they were my two closest friends in there and I always wanted them to be friends. In the real world I think they would be friends but in that house the environment is so intense and strange that it has unfortunately brought the worst and best out of their relationship in quite extreme ways.


Do you think the power theme has been used to full effect? Was effecting nominations the ultimate power, or would something else have caused more drama?

I think it was used quite well in various unique ways. As much as I hated the female power trip and the way Toya's and mine came back to bite us back, I think its put a strong edge on this years series. Unfortunately it has been proven as faulted in this show given the fact that Pauline, Toya and I were all evicted after our power trips. The fact nominations can be altered adds an exciting and unpredictable element to the show has been interesting, but unfortunately it has also led to too many complications which I believe have led to the wrong housemates being evicted and too much going against the ways viewers may have actually wanted.


Who do you want to win? And who do you think deserves to win?

I'm now rooting for Christopher all the way! He was one of my closest friends in the house, we really clicked on day one and I see a lot of myself in him. I feel he really deserves it as he has been nothing but genuine, sincere, considerate and consistent to himself throughout his time in the house. I remember in the beginning, he was very much alienated from the house and just pushed aside by the majority of housemates in a way that seemed very high school to me. He was never accepted into the "cool gang" and targeted so quickly and I didn't like it. Since then he was always the first to be scape-goated during nominations and has just been overlooked from the beginning. I think it will be great if he wins, proving that the nice guys always prevail and that she self-righteous "cool kids" get nowhere. Most of all, Christopher would never actually expect to win which I think shows how modest he is.

Would you ever do it again? 

I'd do it all over again. Perhaps with a slightly better bunch of housemates!

No comments:

Post a Comment